Monday, May 27, 2013

Three Suppers

Restaurant decor with sauces. These photos
are all from my iPhone, please excuse the
somewhat sub-par quality.
It doubled as a tailor shop!
They say third times a charm. Well I have discovered tonight that actually this might not be true, unless I am miscounting. On Saturday night, I went to a great Khmer place across from Build Bright University and had truly stellar fried rice that I wrote about a bit here. Last night, I went to another place and had amazing vegetables with rice. And then tonight.... my first thoughts upon receiving my 3,000Riel noodles ($0.75) noodles was "This is exactly what could give me food poisoning." This is never a good sign. The large pan of them outside looked so promising, the seating area so "authentically" chic, and the baby wandering around so cute, I had to sat down and order. And they had vegetarian options (that I tried asking about in Khmer (!!) but he understood English better -____-)!

My noodles arrived with a barely cooked egg (unless I have a poached egg on toast and am preferably out for brunch in New York at, say, Jack's Wife Freda, I prefer my eggs cooked) sitting in a bed of water, or oil, or something unidentifiable  The noodles were slimy and gross, and I looking at them I expected the bean sprouts to actually be worms and to move through my noodles (this was in my head, of course). I ate about half of the noodles, paid, and left.

Utterly unsure what that fruit next to the
coconut is as it looks to me like a ham slice.
To appease my stomach, I went and bought a steamed empanada (the dough was like for a Chinese pork bun) down the road which the man said was "sweet egg" but it was more like this jelly sugar congeal in the inside. My first bite was very chewy, but I soon realized this was because I ate the paper under the empanada as well. In true Asia fashion, he plopped the empanada into minuscule plastic bag. I overall was not a fan, which is good because I believe I was severely overcharged (I paid a whopping 1,500Riel ($0.375) for something that likely should have cost 500Riel ($0.125))

I then went to a juice bar to fully mollify everything stirring in my stomach which was decently reasonable. I have no idea what was in the ambiguous mixed fruit smoothie except for ice (which her mom was manually shaving off a block) and the jack fruit I tasted, but I am pretty sure there was condensed milk and also papaya, or something orange, as the color of it was peach and jack fruit is yellow. This, dear reader, is the story of my three suppers.

1 comment: